Sunday, March 25, 2012

Current Breakfast

I (finally) bought a Vitamix a few weeks ago. I think I've used it every day since! My standard breakfast has become a fruit and veggie smoothie with an oat bar. I was inspired by this recipe, but it has morphed into my own, so here goes my current version!

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

1-1/2 c GF oatmeal
1/4 c almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c pecans, chopped and toasted for 5 minutes
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt (kosher)
1 egg (or flax egg - 1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water and refrigerated for 15 minutes)
1-1/4 c liquid (typically a mixture 1 c almond milk and 1/4 c orange juice)

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together the dry ingredients and then add in the wet ingredients. Pour into a greased 9"x9" pan. Bake for 40 minutes. I like to cut this into 6 squares and then it's a great breakfast with my smoothie!

Ideas for the future include lemon poppy seed, strawberry, apple spice, etc.

2 comments:

  1. This time I made a double batch, ditched the lemon zest, used 2 c almond milk, 1/2 c orange juice, 1 tsp baking soda. We'll see how it does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baking soda addition is amazing! I've edited the original recipe to include it.

    ReplyDelete